Tattoos of names are a great way to pay tribute, show your eternal devotion, or simply celebrate a special someone. The fact that you’re on this site, looking for info on that matter, is sufficient proof that you too have a special bond in your life that you’d like to cement by etching that other person’s name on your skin. If that’s the case, this is the article you’ve been wanting to read as I’ll tell you all about tattoos of names.
Reasons to Get Tattoos of Names
If you happen to find yourself in the situation that you just love that kind of tattoos but that you don’t really know whose name you could pick to make yours, here are the most frequent reasons why people get tattoos of names:
- Pay Tribute to The Dead : Deceased family members, friends taken away by an illness, fallen comrades ; this is the way to pay tribute to someone who was very close to you (or that you admired) and who died way too early.
- Display Your Undying Love : A favorite of parents and passionate lovers, tattoos of names can also serve as a token, a sign that I will always love you, no matter what.
- Show Your Allegiance : If you’re part of an exclusive club or a group of people you feel very connected to, like the Marine Corps, a sports team and such, you can decide to get it inked as a mark of your belonging to the group as well as to show them your unlimited support
- Celebrate Yourself : Another option, picked by more and more people nowadays, is to choose to get your own name as a tattoo. A means to affirm oneself or to really mark an event in your life. One nice variation, if you have a nickname or a surname that you affectionate particularly, is to use that in your tat.
Different Calligraphies for Tattoos of Names
Now that you’ve decided on a name, it’s time to see HOW you’re going to render it, i.e. the different types of calligraphies and letters that you can choose from. First of all, whenever you’re looking to get tattoos of names on your skin, you should consult with your tattoo artist to see what kind of custom writing he could create for you (as all calligraphies do not lend themselves well to all names, depending on its length and letters).
With that being said, here are some pointers on what’s available to you:
- Capital Letters : Tattoos of names with nothing but capital letters look best when the name is short. They transfer part of their strength and sense of immovability to the name. This is the perfect choice for nicknames or teams, even gangs…
- Rounded Letters : The attributes of rounded letters, that they pass over to your name of choice, are sensuality, delicacy and refinement. Calligraphies using rounded letters will be favored by people looking to add a touch of sophistication to their tat.
- Specific Calligraphies : You also have the choice, if you want a special kind of calligraphy, to go for gothic types and their sense of mystery, comic style types and their modern looks, and so on.
- Foreign Alphabets: For some extra flavor, you can also elect to go for an entirely different alphabet. Japanese, Arabic, Indian and Greek are some of the more common and most beautiful choices. They also have the added benefit that people in the streets and around you won’t be able to tell what’s written on your skin unless you choose to tell them.
If you want some inspiration for your tattoos of names, I suggest you go to DaFont and browse their huge collection. There’s plenty of types for everyone no matter your taste, from horror to funny genre, but also futuristic, flowery and so on.
Final Words on Tattoos of Names
Special occasions are as rare as special people, and when one of them stumbles in your life, you might feel like honoring her memory forever. Tattoos of names are the best way to go about it. And what’s great about them is that you’re not limited by anything but your imagination and your tattoo artist’s in what you can accomplish. Power, passion, purity… You can add any dimension you like by choosing the right type.